Software Engineer (PHP, Laravel)
What is the role about?
We’re looking for a developer to join our eCloud development team, working to deliver new products and features to services in our eCloud hosting portfolio.
eCloud is our cloud hosting infrastructure, spanning technologies such as VMware, OpenStack, Kubernetees, Ceph and Veeam, to provide Public and Private cloud services to customers.
Working on your own or as part of a team depending on the project requirements, you will report to our Development team leader and work with our Project Manager to deliver projects following our agile/continuous delivery principles.
Projects may span both frontend and backend tasks. We follow an API first approach, so frontend tasks include building user interfaces/components to consume our APIs while delivering the best user experience. Backend tasks involve developing API’s to integrate business logic into the underlying cloud infrastructure, and working with databases to manage customer resources.
You will be responsible for the planning and delivery of your tasks to agreed deadlines, with a clear focus on the customer journey and experience.
What are my responsibilities?
The following is a generalised list of responsibilities. This is further expanded upon depending on product/project focused teams.
- Perform triage of bug reports and assist with help requests from across the business.
- Breakdown of assigned tasks into deliverable parts and setting internal deadlines
- Development of new features and the maintenance of existing code base as required
- Ensure code is developed in line with industry and team standards to ensure code quality is maintained
- Perform code reviews on changes made by other members of the team, and provide constructive feedback.
What are the requirements?
We are looking for passionate developers, who enjoy solving problems in innovative ways. You should have a good knowledge and experience of web standards such as;
- Have practical skills using PHP, MySQL and related web technologies such as redis and rabbitMQ.
- Experience of Saas, Webpack, VueJS, and working with frameworks such as Laravel/Lumen are desirable.
What challenges might you face in this role?
As part of this role you will be required to be a forward thinker with the ability to problem solve, and evaluate technical decisions on how features are designed and built.
You will be working to high expectations from the business as well as being expected to meet agreed delivery dates. The team is fast paced by nature and requires a real focus and attention to detail.
An understanding of what other technologies exist that can be introduced to improve the solutions that we build, deliver and support for our customers is essential.
As the business is fast paced and very dynamic, the goal posts can often change and you will need to be able to cope with this. Being able to react to change and switch contexts quickly is important.
As part of this role, you can expect to earn between £30,000 and £50,000 dependant on skills and experience.
The team are split over two shift patterns, 8am-4.30pm and 9am-5.30pm, we aim to split this within the teams to ensure cover during core business hours of 8am to 5.30pm.